Wednesday, March 14, 2012

It's All Good

Having a houseful of children means that there is always something to do, to be done, or that I should be doing. Having kids who have special needs magnifies that. I'm not complaining because I often think that if our family was somehow different - like, if we hadn't made the choice to foster and adopt - I would not be doing, or needing to do, some of these things; and so would be missing out on meeting some of the incredible people and having opportunities that might not have crossed my path otherwise.

Last Wednesday was good case in point. I began the day - well, MY part of the day after the kids were all off to school - at a support group meeting for moms of kids with special needs. I look forward to this monthly chance to be with other moms who don't look at me with a sympathetic half-smile, a vague look in their eyes, and a slight nod when I describe some of what our family has been experiencing. These are moms who live it and so they get it. Don't get me wrong, we are blessed with so many people in our lives who are interested in and supportive of our family; it's just that once a month I don't really need to explain myself so much.

Anyway, the plan was to enjoy that time and then go and volunteer for a bit at the kids' school - because, in case you haven't picked up on this yet, it's important to me that my kids know that I'm extremely interested and involved in their education. The plan was thwarted when my cell phone rang before the discussion part of the group got started. It was Fred's school calling to tell me that he had had a fairly severe seizure and that I needed to come and pick him up. At the risk of sounding completely selfish: there went my meeting and my volunteer time at the school.

Of course I was concerned for Fred and got to the school in good time to find him doing well, but needing to go home to rest. So that's what we did, and I was able to get a hold of Stan to ask him to come home early so that I could still fulfill my carpooling duties for the Select Strings Ensemble musicians and get them to after-school rehearsal.

Also on tap right now: Odyssey of the Mind Regional Competition, March 17. Another mom and I co-coach a team of seven seventh graders from September through March as they creatively solve a Long-Term Problem which includes: writing a script, designing and making props and costumes, using technical skills to enhance their solution, and all the while learning to communicate, negotiate, and cooperate as a team. Being a group of twelve-year-olds, planning and time-management is not a forte; so lots of fun is had until two weeks before the competition when it begins to occur to them that they need to do some serious work. So our garage has become OM central and the team has been here every day for the past two weeks.

And because a diversion is needed from the OM madness, I have stumbled into the role of a parent coordinator of music parents in our school district. About a month ago, the district superintendent unveiled some cost saving proposals as the district is finding it necessary to save millions of dollars for the next school year. The proposed list includes alarming cuts to the music programs. Our kids have benefitted in amazing ways from the strings program in our elementary school. Starting with Suzuki violin lessons in kindergarten which leads to music reading lessons and inclusion in the orchestra - which wins regional awards every year, to the Select String Ensemble - which wins local and national recognition every year, our kids could not be getting better music education which in turn boosts their academic performace. Unfortunately, the superintendent and school board do not share the passion of the parents and community. So I find myself tasked with - and happy to do it if it means preserving the music programs for all students - contacting and organizing as many parents and community members as possible to support this cause.

Life is busy - so true for many families. Our family life is busy, busier than usual right now - thus the dearth in my blog postings as of late. The thing is: it's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment