Friday, March 2, 2012

Is this a good time?

We've got at least one empty bed to fill, and I'm anxious to fill it. Anxious to see who God brings to our family next, how our family dynamics will change to meet the needs of the child (or children), see my kids adjust and adapt and demonstrate grace, get to discover the treasure in another little one. Some of us are ready now... well, probably just me. I think I'm addicted to foster parenting.

Although, this is the first time I can remember just enjoying this breather in between placements. Historically, by now - with a week having passed since our last placement moved along - I'd have called the agency just to remind them that we are available, that there is really no preference of gender or age (or number of siblings), that we have plenty of space and lots of support. And someone at the agency will reassure me that we are on the active list, that they will be getting calls for placements, and that we will be called when we are needed - which, they will appease me by saying, will be very soon. I think they know that I'm addicted to foster parenting.

But this time I don't feel that anxiety, that urge to call the office, or the need to fill our home right now. Our kids are older, their activities more varied, more demanding of our time, and just more. The homework is more involved and requires more support, there are bigger and more complicated projects. There are times when we can enjoy playing games that last for more than ten minutes, and so our family time can be more involved, conversations are richer. I am enjoying this season of our family's life. But I am still addicted to foster parenting.

Along with the kids being more involved comes the parents' increased involvement. Stan is teaching Sunday School to pre-teen boys and coaching Samara's basketball team. He and the boys also help with the clean up after basketball every Saturday. Time well spent supporting, and with, our kids. I've always been involved, hovering, nosy, questioning, lurking at and around my kids' schools. Volunteering is a great way to get my foot in the door and my face recognized; it's also a good way to find my time filling up with all sorts of worthy causes and activities. Even though my kids are away from me all day long, all day long is spent making sure that they can be as successful as possible and have many opportunities to grow.

Life is no different here than in most other homes. Kids are blessings and life is busy.

Still there is time for me to wait for the next phone call, wonder about the child we will get to love next; think about moving beds and shampooing the carpet, but knowing that as soon as I begin some big cleaning, organizing project THAT is precisely when the phone call will come. So while we are busy enjoying our family and our life, I am still addicted to foster parenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment